Installing the Ultimaker- The Arrival
Finally our Utimaker is here. Very exciting beginning of XYZ Workshop.
I must admit it is pretty daunting, as it came with heaps of parts, wires, ball bearings and switches. It’s the most complicated piece of kit I have ever assembled. The only kit assembling experience I’ve had prior to this has only been IKEA.[slickr-flickr search="sets" set="72157633943110339" items="4" type="slideshow" flickr_link="on"]
Luckily the Ultimaker is well documented, with a full instructional step by step available online. Ultimaker Instructional WIki
Before we got into the complicated stuff of figuring out which wire goes where. We decided to give it a nice bright paint job.
Took the whole night but finally half way through stage 4 of the assembly. The hot end extrusion end was probably the most complex part of the machine.
It was quite a challenge getting the Bowden tube secured. Hopefully I’ve done it right.
06-04-2013 Step 5 of 7 completed. Ultimaker is taking shape with the completion of the Z-stage.
07-04-2013 Finally the ultimaker is complete! The final stage was the installation of the Arduino circuit board and connecting the wires to the motors and limit switches.
After wiring up everything into the circuit board late last night, we proceeded to test the machine and software. We used the Cura software available from the Ultimaker website to configure the printer.
It took quite a while to make sure the limit switches on the axis were working. And it took even longer to configure the Z-Stage plate, making sure it was dead flat.
2am and we managed to print our first object. An ultimaker figurine, at low resolution. This took 9mins to print.